Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Fig Leaf of Words

Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths.
And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden. (Genesis 3:7-8, ESV)

Like Adam and Eve in the garden, we have all felt the urge to find some fig leaves to hide behind. When shame hits us, it is our first instinct. It can happen when we've done wrong, when someone's hurt us, when we've been embarrassed, or when we see a weakness in ourselves. Eventually, it becomes second-nature...something we do without even realizing the source. We just, by habit, put on a mask to hide behind and go about our everyday lives hoping no one sees through it.

To walk by faith and not allow shame to control us, it's good to do these three things: 1) identify our personal "fig leaves" (our masks or how we hide), 2) identify the reason why we hide behind those fig leaves, and 3) identify the truth that sets us free from them.

I sometimes use words as a fig leaf. Although any empty words will do, bigger words are better because they are easier to hide behind. When I can masterfully create a barrier with words, others do not see the real me. This fig leaf leads to getting bogged down in conversations that sound very intellectual but do not actually go very deep. Basically, true relationship with others loses out to things like "theological mumbo jumbo". When this fig leaf is used, things said are not necessarily bad or untrue, but the chosen words just do not reveal the whole picture.

One reason I find myself hiding behind words is to prevent others from seeing painful emotions (guilt, shame, anger, etc.). The empty talk allows me to avoid revealing what's really going on inside. The phrase, "fake it till you make it", comes to mind. Unfortunately, "faking it" never turns into being real, dealing with inner struggles, and healing.

Another reason we hide is that there are things we do not like about ourselves. In my case, deep down I often see myself as "not good enough". Although I know the truth in my head, I sometimes struggle with actually believing that God loves me and accepts me, no questions asked. I put the pressure on myself to earn what He gives freely through Christ. When I believe God is waiting for me to prove myself, I quickly grab the closest fig leaf to hide behind. He lovingly calls out to me often, encouraging me to trust Him and who He created me to be in Christ. By faith (taking Him at His word), I am able to step out from behind whatever bush I am hiding behind.

This was an important blog post for me, for two reasons. First, I think, as Christians, we often believe it's best for others to only see how "well-put-together Jesus makes us". However, that rarely points people to Christ. A person struggling and trusting Jesus is much more convincing of the Gospel than a know-it-all who "has it all together", even when preaching the truth. The Gospel message relieves us of the pressure to have it all together, and points us to a savior to rely on every step of the way. He is the remedy for fig leaves.

Second, it is safe to say that some of you reading this have been exposed to my "fig leaf of words" at some point. I apologize to you. I pray that God will allow me to continue to experience His love in new ways so that what you see when you interact with me is more of Him and less of a fig leaf. Receiving His love is what is required for me to be the authentic man He created me to be, one who is free and does not mind getting out from behind the words. 

2 Corinthians 2:1-5
 

Ephesians 3:14-19

2 comments:

Ben & Sarah said...

Thanks Neil!!

sweet pea said...

You are right, we have all used the fig leaf of words. Good Analogy!