Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Eternally Clean

He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, do you wash my feet?” Jesus answered him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but afterward you will understand.” Peter said to him, “You shall never wash my feet.” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no share with me.” Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!” 10 Jesus said to him, “The one who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but is completely clean. And you are clean, but not every one of you.” (John 13:6-10, ESV)

Approaching the time that He would be crucified, Jesus chose to wash His disciples feet at the last meal He was sharing with them. Peter, as usual, did not mind speaking up on how he felt and refused for Jesus to wash his feet. Once Jesus told him of the importance of being washed, Peter wanted much more than just his feet washed. However, Jesus further explained that Peter was already clean, except for his feet.

Trusting in Jesus is much more than just acknowledging that He has "paid for my sins". Jesus' death, burial, resurrection, and ascension to the Father is something that I personally identify with and enter into myself. Following Christ, the old me has been killed off and buried. The man God created me to be has been made fully alive. God has made me His son and a citizen of heaven. This was a permanent adoption, and I can rest in the fact that He will never turn away from me.

Walking through this life I will need my feet washed frequently due to the filth I get myself into. This will not always be a fun process but a necessary one. My behaviors will not always be in accordance to who I am in Christ because I often lose sight of this new identity. However, the overall ugliness that once separated me from God has been purged in a one-time washing that never needs to be repeated. In Christ, I am forgiven, a saint, a son of God, blessed, and loved unconditionally. 

During this time of year that we have chosen to focus on gratitude, I am very thankful for the truth that the washing that God provided through Jesus is eternal. I am thankful that I do not have to worry about slipping out of His hand at any point. I pray that I, as well as my readers, can rest in this truth despite the temptation to think we are too messed up at times for Him to love and accept us.

No comments: